Pages

Monday 25 May 2015

Five minute snapshot of camp

Centipede Challenge

“Climber Away!”, that was my cue to begin climbing. I paused for second, my thoughts were jumbled, I couldn’t get my head around the thought of being metres off the ground with all my trust in three team mates to keep me safe and secure. I began climbing, my heart was racing, my adrenaline kicked in, I was terrified knowing everyone in my team was watching me, even the orienteering people stopped to watch us! I was scared out of my bones! I had reached the part of the centipede where you have to stretch your leg to be able to reach the next metal rung. The person before me didn’t succeed on this part which made me more motivated to achieve the stretch, to achieve the whole climb. Everyone encouraged me, which made me feel as if I had no choice as to finish this climb. I had stretched my leg far enough to reach the metal rung. My leg felt a little numb, but the feeling vanished after climbing again. I was a third of the way up the centipede, with every move I made, the centipede would move, it was difficult - but very enthralling! I neared the top, I could hear my heavy breathing and my racing heart beat, all I managed to think about was reaching the top, I didn’t look down because I knew it would terrify me. There was a few more metal rungs until I reached the top. The mud made my shoes slippery making the task harder. After my last few climbs, I had reached the top. I touched the log above me and giggled to myself like a mental person. A sense of relief and achievement ran through my body. I was proud! I was told to let go of the centipede so I could be be brought down, that’s when my fear came back. I could see the fall from my position and all the thousands of trees. I let go of the centipede, never have I ever been so comforted by a harness and rope. I slowly descended, thinking of what I just accomplished, it was such a rush and happened so fast. When my feet touched the ground, I knew that I had done this. It was an experience to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.